Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Oh Snap!

So, I am unrighteous and didn't watch the Relief Society broadcast on Saturday. Instead I went to the BYU football game and yelled my lungs out. But that's why they put it online, right? Well, I watched Julie Beck's talk on the purpose of Relief Society and man, that woman is awesome. I enjoyed her comment on the Priesthood being able to call upon the RS in any occasion because we have the capacity to do a great work. I also like how she stressed the importance of attending what are now all called "relief society meetings" because they help build up the kingdom/enrich our homes/teach us skills/fellowship others=brings us closer to Christ. It's not just 50 minutes a week. How are we supposed to do all that in one lesson at church? Therefore all meetings are going to be called RS meetings because they are of the same purpose. Her comment on visiting teaching was phenomenal. "If the sole purpose of visiting teaching was to hear the message then we would save time and just read it over the pulpit in Sacrament meeting." Wow. Tell that to my visiting teachers who came over for seven whole minutes last night.

Basically, I love these women. I used to think RS was kind of sissy/for old ladies but since I have been a part of it I have really started to learn what it's all about. We have a great power for change and influence. The sisters of the RS General Presidency are strong and smart women who are great leaders. They are such an example to me.

PS. I am STOKED for General Conference in 2 days!

2 comments:

jenn said...

haha i was going to also point out that not only did they stay 7 minutes but they also came on the last day of the month, when i realized the post date is the 30th, so nvm. i always preferred the 'short (emphasis on SHORT!)but sweet' VT visits myself, but different stokes for different folks...

Meagan said...

It took me a sec to figure out what nvm was, but I got it.