Saturday, October 2, 2010

big werds

Twice this week I have been called out on using big words. In my opinion, they weren't that big of a deal. In one instance I used the word "sequestered" in telling a story about my friend in the third grade and how she was "sequestered" to make her work faster and not get distacted by the other students. Everyone I was with was like, wow, good word, 'sequestered.' Well, it was a good word to describe the situation. Another time I was at this activity and I went to go play rock band with some kids I didn't know. I sat down to play the guitar and mentioned, "I'm not very 'adept' at this." This kid looks at me somewhat befuddled and asks, "did you just use the word 'adept'?" Yes. Yes I did.

I don't get it. Do I sound snobbish when I use these kinds of words? I didn't think they were that hard. Also, I read a lot, so I have a pretty large vocabulary. And I did go to and graduate from college. So that means I'm kind of licensed to use those big words I used back when "Is goed to kollige." I just find it rather amusing. I didn't really realize I spoke like that.  
thinking about big words

1 comment:

Monica said...

Sounds like Bonney Lake!