Monday, August 22, 2011

a toast to summer

I hate this time of year. It always induces panic, anxiety, and sentimental longing/mourning. Panic and anxiety at the upcoming school year, which, oddly enough, I have been feeling even though I don't even go to school. I feel like I should be looking up class times and purchasing pens and notebooks. Sadly, I don't get to do that. But I don't want to talk about that.

However, all those feelings make me feel like summer is almost over and I start to mourn. Which is such a bummer. I feel like I only have a few days left and any enjoyment that I might get from them is spoiled by the impending doom. But instead of school my doom is cold weather, shorter days and longer nights. It's sad, but it's dark out by 8:15 now, which is normal, but it makes me feel like winter is coming, and when it gets dark I feel like it's time to go to bed so I get sleepy, and I also don't do as much. I'm not looking forward to being relegated to the indoors when there is so much fun to be had outdoors. And I actually wore my sweatpants for the first time yesterday because it was cold. Ewww. And the grass is wet when I go to work in the morning. (Although it still gets up to 95 during the day). I sound like an old lady. I hate it because I feel like I won't feel this way for another 8 months till spring comes again. Another reason I don't like the end of summer is that it's so lame for me. Everyone else will be busy and productive going to school and unavailable. But not me. No back to school excitement, parties, meeting new people, BYU football games, new syllabi, buying books on the first day of school, opening socials, or Add/Drop cards. Nope. I get to do the same stupid thing I've been doing all summer. Go to work. Every. Freaking. Day. Hooray! Anyway, I've been feeling this way since the beginning of August and it's really harshing my summer vibe. So it needs to leave until at least October 15th. . I think one of my problems is that I work inside and don't see the sun all day. So I have a skewed perception of the passing of time/weather. Aaaaaaannnd. I'm only on Harry Potter #5 which is despicable. I ready Harry Potter every summer and it NEVER takes me this long. I don't know who I am anymore. Gheesh Meagan, time to get off that train. Sorry, that was a lot of whining. I'm actually really good at drawing summer time out. 

So I would like to make a toast to summer, it's been a good one. Full of bike rides, BBQs, swimming pools, rivers, tanning, climbing trees, stars, fires, road trips, pictures, farmers markets, flowers, babies, hiking, hammocking, reading, mowing, fireworks, baseball, ice cream, classic cars, sandwiches, concerts, cranking it slow, touring de marshall, cherries, canteloupe, bare feet, sandals, Harry Potter, Sharis, camping, volleyball, weddings and just all-around-goodness. L'chaim!

Just last weekend I got a slurpee and saluted summer by watching "The Sandlot," the ultimate summer classic. And then the next day I mowed the lawn, went swimming, went on a bike gang ride where we rode our bikes along the river to an island where we ate sack lunches and then used the mountain bikes to explore the island (and it was quite fun to ride them on the gravel and sand trails), on the way back I biked with no hands for the first time, then I hiked Badger Mountain with some cool people and was able to see the lights of the TC, fireworks from the Dust Devils game, and Will, who is awesome, told us when the International Space Station would be visible, so we found it and watched it fly through the sky (that was pretty cool). So really, I still got a lot left to my summer and I need to calm down. Seriously. This week I am taking two days off of work to hang with Jillian and go to the Josh Groban concert. Holler.

The only, only, things I look forward to about fall: BYU football and pumpkin chocolate chip bread. And I also may have bought myself a cute pair of boots to make myself feel better about the impending cold weather.

Ok, so I need my head examined.

1 comment:

Monica said...

Meagan--I miss you.