However, I am having a bad reaction to some of the things I am hearing. Women who are upset because they would have served a mission had the age been lower at the time they were contemplating service but by the time they were 21 they were married or on the way to marriage. They feel cheated somehow. This really hurts me. A lot. I am a 25 year old single female. A BYU graduate who did not earn her "MRS" degree. I have been in the "singles" system for 7 years now and have endured a lot. It just gets harder as you get older. But to hear these women complaining that something is "unfair" or "too late" is unfeeling. How can they say that? Especially to their husbands? But think about all the single women in the church who have longed and ached for the blessings of a temple marriage-and these women are complaining they didn't get to serve a mission. Well, me not being married, I don't know how it would feel to have to make that choice. But obviously all these women had a choice at one point in their life. And they made it. Missions are wonderful. Marriage is too. I'm sure it was gut wrenching for those who had to decide. But to say you feel cheated? You made a decision base on your options and knowledge available to you at the time. How do you know that if you had gone on a mission that you'd still have the same marriage opportunities? You cannot go back so please, please do not regret your decision to get married. This change has come, now, in the year 2012. It cannot retroactively change the past, but it will have a huge impact on the future.
I read some comments on a blog that were sad. How one girl was sad she didn't go on a mission because she always felt she was not on the same level spiritually as her husband, and how she always deferred to him because he had served a mission and knew so much more than she did. I just felt sad for her. Going on a mission is not a prerequisite to gospel knowledge. Women and men who do not serve missions have just as much room to grow as people who do. Just because someone has served a mission does not guarantee a lifetime of righteousness or imply any kind of superiority. From a young age my mother taught me something that was very important to her that she learned from President Kimball-that women could be just as scholarly in the gospel as men. And she has striven to make this a part of her life. Yes, it is weird to be in Sunday School and hear all the "On my mission" comments. Especially when you are in a ward as a 19 year old girl with a bunch of 21 year old return missionaries. But then you get over it.
I guess in the end I have to say a few concluding points. Missions are a priesthood calling for men. They are a wonderful option for women who want to serve. There will still be women who choose not to serve for their own personal reasons. I think what everyone (including me) needs to remember and have faith in is that Heavenly Father is mindful of us. He knows our righteous desires. He has a plan for us. That may be to serve a mission, it may be marriage and a family, it may be something else. But we need to recognize and have faith that what we do and have done is part of our Heavenly Father's plan for us.
Sorry for the rant. But I needed to vent. I would like to read your comments if you'd like to make them.
*This is based off of my life and my experiences. I have never felt pressure from "The Church" or my parents to become married just to be married and be righteous. It is a goal and desire of mine. But whether the reason it hasn't happened yet for me was because of my options, choices, independence, focus on other goals, naivete, lack of skill, or whatever, I never have felt like I was only worth something if I were married. I have a strong sense of self worth, thanks to my parents and have tried to live up to my own capabilities.*
*This is based off of my life and my experiences. I have never felt pressure from "The Church" or my parents to become married just to be married and be righteous. It is a goal and desire of mine. But whether the reason it hasn't happened yet for me was because of my options, choices, independence, focus on other goals, naivete, lack of skill, or whatever, I never have felt like I was only worth something if I were married. I have a strong sense of self worth, thanks to my parents and have tried to live up to my own capabilities.*
2 comments:
I hear what you're saying moo. I think things at BYU are going to get weird...but they'll manage. I still think most of the boys will wait until 19 to go. At least, I hope so! I know too many 18 year old boys! I get your point about people that are taking their marriage for granted...that drives me crazy. It's like saying "poor me...I couldn't go on a mission because I had to get married instead".
Thing is...if I'd have been able to go at 19, I'd have been able to go.
Meagancita--Amen.
First, sometimes I am baffled that any girl gets caught up in the "he went on a mission, so he is more spiritually mature." To that, I say "HELL NO." In fact, if you are choosing to get married, or just go, to the temple, you better be on a spiritual playing field that the Lord requires, and it's the same for everyone. Can you answer those 15 questions with honesty and purity of heart? If so, then we are all there. It takes time, desire, faith and understanding to develop a relationship with God where he can give personal revelation that is right for a person. Comparing one's spiritual knowledge to another is not only wrong, it's unnecessary. We are responsible for our own futures--and when we learn to work in conjunction with God on what we need to do, who to serve and what to be, that is all the spirituality you need. I highly doubt all 21 year old RM boys get that.
I thank my lucky stars I could see through all that crappola even before my mission. After my mission, I could pick out which ones were actually *good* missionaries. It's not the mission you served, it's who you are afterwards and what you do with your life. This is the major measure of an effective missionary. AND ULTIMATELY, the mission is not for the missionary! It's about serving other people. If you have your heart and soul completely dedicated to that work, then positive change will probably follow. But that's not the point--the mission is about inviting others to come unto Christ and serving others 100%. I wish more missionaries and RM's got that. It would show in their person a lot more.
Okay, now I am done with MY rant.
Post a Comment