I wanted to write a little about my favorite albums of Christmas music. I consider myself to be a connoisseur of Chrismas music-I have over 200 songs in my iTunes-so here are my all time favorite albums. Note: these are complete albums, not one off singles that, though popular, do not equal a whole album. I tried to decide if I could rank them, but I don't think I could.
*N'Sync's Home For Christmas
Why I love it: Well, it's N'Sync, duh. But also their a cappella version of O Holy Night is one of the best out there. It's my childhood, but I could also relate to the "coming home" theme when I was in college. I like how all the members get featured better and each one gives a Christmas wish/shoutout. The best is Lance in his bass voice, "And I want to wish you a Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas to the world." Hahaha!
James Taylor-James Taylor at Christmas
Why I love it: I love James' mellow version of some of these songs. So peaceful. Also, he sings a few that not many others do. Go Tell it on the Mountain is fun. Some Children See Him is amazing, I cry like a baby when he sings about how children all over the world think about baby Jesus being born. Who Comes this Night? is great and his version of In the Bleak Midwinter is one of the only versions I can handle. Also, his take on River is so melancholy and poetic.
Ella Fitzgerald-Ella Wishes you a Swingin' Christmas
Why I love it: Ella's voice is from another generation, we don't get that kind of singing anymore. The jazzy versions are fun but she also does some great traditional carols. I love her version of What are you Doing New Year's Eve? She also sings a song called The Meaning of Christmas which made me cry the first time I heard it. I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone else sing it. But the song is wonderful.
Josh Groban-Noel
Why I love it: Josh. Singing. All the Christmas songs. The whole album is just seriously one of the best, even if you don't normally love Josh. Silent Night is so powerful, also I found a Spanish version he sang and it is beautiful. I love the guitar on Little Drummer Boy and I love how it starts soft and quiet and grows more powerful, I picture a timid little boy visiting the baby Jesus and then growing in confidence as he realizes who he has come to worship. I'll Be Home For Christmas is special because there are audio clips of servicemen wishing their families a Merry Christmas, it helps to remind of their sacrifice they make. He sings two songs in Latin, Ave Maria, and Panis Angelicus, I don't know what he is saying, but Josh can handle the classical songs. I'm glad someone made him do them. He also sings with Faith Hill and Luther Vandross on two songs and the combos just work, ya know? And shout out to MoTab and the tabernacle organ that feature on O Come All Ye Faithful! Woot. (Also, someday Josh WILL sing at the MoTab Christmas concert and I WILL be there when he does.) Love Josh's singing on this one. I do have to mention Josh's version of O Holy Night, it's not technically on this album but it is one of the best ever. I think a lot of people trash this song but Josh is most excellent. Just really, this is a great Christmas Album.
John Denver-John Denver Christmas in Concert (or something like that)
Why I love it: You may not know it, but John Denver has a great voice for Christmas songs. The album I have is a live concert he did in DC in about 1996. He sang with a full symphony orchestra and also had a children's choir for a few songs. He sings a few of his own songs as well. I also enjoy his own Christmas songs like Christmas for Cowboys, The Christmas Toy, Christmas Like a Lullaby, and Noel-Christmas 1913. One of my favorites is John Denver's version of O Holy Night, he totally gets that high note and with a fully symphony behind him, the effect is magical. I also enjoy the live version of his song Calypso, so great.
Bing Crosby-Any cd, also the Kraft Music Hall recordings
Why I love it: Bing Crosby=Christmas at my house. Hands down. Mom's favorite its It's a Marshmallow World. I love his Drummer Boy duet with David Bowie. We also have this cd I grew up with that is a recording of a Christmas radio show done during WWII-they have interesting things to hear like using ration points to buy Kraft Cheese Spread, and they sing about Loose Lips Sink Ships, and the boys at war. Bing is at his best. And there is this hilarious song with this weird Irish guy that sings about "Caroline" and making her his girl, we're still not quite sure what all is supposed to be going on during this radio show but it's become this tradition at our house. They finish the show by singing Adestes Fideles (O Come All Ye Faithful in Latin).
Honorable Mention goes to the Christmas Albums by Pentatonix-the a capella group. I just got their music this year so I'm not as familiar with all the songs but I do love them so far. The Nutcracker song is so much fun and I love their version of Mary, Did You Know?
Thanks for playing along!







1 comment:
I agree on all but NSync. But I think we went through this many years ago... he he he
Post a Comment