General Conference. Wasn't it awesome? As always. I watched three sessions on my computer and the fourth I got to attend the Conference Center. I think it's interesting to hear everyone's thoughts after the sessions are over, which talks influenced them and what they thought the overall theme was. To me the overall theme was families and how to raise a righteous generation. There were so many talks on familes. But I've heard others say trials, youth of the church, judgment, etc. I think we decide that based on where we are in life, and what we need to work on. What that says about me? I don't know.
My favorite talk was from Sister Beck. She came to my stake about a month ago to give a fireside and ended up doing a Q & A with everyone. I feel like her talk was a continuation of that meeting and it gave me a lot of help with personal revelation which is something I think a lot about and try to learn more. She said the ability to qualify for the spirit and act on it is the #1 thing we want. This comes as we have the desire, worthiness, keep the commandments, covenants, repentance, scripture study, daily prayer etc. Promised revelation comes as we move forward in faith. This appealed to me because I'm at a turning point in my life trying to decide what to do next. I'm attempting to move forward in faith so hopefully the revelation will come sometime. She also said we are doing well in this as we develop attributes of Christ. Which is our goal to become like Him. That's what I have from my notes, and I am for sure going to read this talk once they post them online. Sister Beck is just so awesome and a great lady. I really respect her for all the work she does in the church. Being RS president is hard, think about being RS president for the whole church?!
Another talk I really enjoyed was from Elder Holland. He doesn't hold any punches back and just tells things how they are. He speaks with a lot of power but also a lot of love. I always feel a lot of love from him when he talks. This session he spoke about pornography and its effects on families. He and his wife had just met three women who were all divorced and it started with pornography. I could tell the love he had for those sisters and with a fatherly kind of love, wanted to protect anyone else from it. Elder Holland said, like Jacob, it pained him to speak of these things, but it was out of love that he did. It also impressed me how he could take such a depressing topic and make the tone of the talk happy and hopeful. He even told a few jokes! And like always he had power in his words. A quote, "The same technology that allows me to do my family history and prepare names for the temple could, if unfiltered and unprotected, allow my children and grandchildren access to a global cesspool that could blow a crater in their brains." Wow. He also spoke about the differences between lust and love. Elder Holland is a great example of love. He spoke once at BYU and told a story about how he and his wife get places. He is always in a hurry and walks very fast, Pat is a slower mover and takes her time. If they both went their own paces they would never get anywhere together. He agreed to slow down and she agreed to speed up and now they get to hold hands when they walk together. I also like the scripture from Nephi that I need to look up the reference for, "I will give place no more for the enemy of my soul." Such a great talk.
I heard there are some great talks from Priesthood Session. I look forward to reading them soon.
I love listening to the words of the Apostles and Prophet. They are truly inspired men leading the church under Heavenly Father's direction. Now let's all go be and do good.
1 comment:
Hey!I was at the 4th session too! Too bad we didn't see each other...
Post a Comment