Wednesday, May 26, 2010

books

I like to read. A lot. I credit my mother for instilling this in me. I remember being little and going to the public library and having stacks and stacks of books to check out. I always felt sorry for the other kids I saw whose moms only let them get two or three. What would I do with two or three? I'd just have to come back the next day. Might as well get a whole bunch. Also my mom knows never to take me into a bookstore otherwise I'll have four books I want to buy within 15 minutes. It's a disease.

Right now I am in possession of an enormous amount of books and I just keep adding to the list. I have about seven checked out from the library alone. They include:

-Two mystery books about a detective named Monk who just had amnesia; written by Anne Perry
-Three mystery books about a girl in 1800's London, they're actually for youth but Marissa let me read the first page of one and it had the phrase "I had to kill a man..." in it so I was already intrigued. The first one is called "The Ruby in the Smoke" by Phil Pullman, the guy who wrote the Golden Compass books.
-All Quiet on the Western Front-Erich Maria Remarque-somehow I never had to read this one for school. It's quite good so far.
-Hunger Games-trying to get my hands on a copy of this one. The public library has like 30 copies but last time I checked there were 219 holds on it. I might get it by next year. So many people have recommended it to me.

Also I've decided that I need to read all the Harry Potter books again. I could read the first four books in about a day if that's all I did.

If you have any recommendations let me know. I like almost anything but I WILL NOT read anything by Nicholas Sparks or Sarah Dessen. Seriously.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

MEAGAN...i can't comment on your TV show blogs, but i can definitely comment on this!!!!!! first off, have you heard of this website?
I just started adding all my books on there...it's a good way to keep track of books i've read fairly recently.
So...based on recent reads...I'd recommend to you the following:

1) The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams (written by a mormon lady...about a girl in a polygamous sect. it's high quality young adult fiction)
2) The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (young adult fiction...aaron's sister recommended it and i thoroughly enjoyed it)
3) The Help by Kathryn Stockett (fiction...you'd like this book, no one doesn't like this book)
4) The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University by Kevin Roose (memoir-- i loved this book, i really did)
5) In the Land of Invisible Women: A Female Doctor's Journey in the Saudi Kingdom by Qanta Ahmed (nonfiction memoir-- fascinating, kind of long, but worth the read)
6) Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell (nonfiction, but MUY interesting and fun to read)

Other awesome books I'd recommend that may have more language, etc. (PG-13 ish? nothing too naughty) are:

1) Enchantment Orson Scott Card (fairy-tale/fantasy kind of story...i want to re-read it one of these days)
2) Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (I LOVED THIS BOOK...LOVED. It is epic...i took forever to read it, but didn't mind because it was so absorbing)
3) Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (depressing, but GOOD...i'll never forget it. but not sure if you'd like it)
4) How I became a famous novelist by Steve Hely (this is hilarious)

Sorry for being a comment attention hog. but hey you asked, and sharing is caring! plus, i happen to be in a voracious reading frenzy as of late.
p.s. good job for reserving hunger games! You should also reserve 'catching fire' while you're at it, try to time it so you get it immediately after hunger games...