Friday, January 13, 2012

no interest in pinterest

If you haven't heard of pinterest, it's this website where you can get on and troll through images of various things and places and people and then "pin" the ones you like or think are cute to your own pinboard. It sounded kinda fun to me at first, I went on once just to check it out. After thinking about it and seeing others' use of the website I decided that I didn't want to use it. Here's why: so there's lots of stuff to look at. Crafts, food, pretty scenes, photos and the like. It could be a cool place to get a lot of ideas for things. But I noticed that after awhile, I started to get envious and covetous. I want a cute hat, I wish I could make that, etc. Thinking like that could get you in trouble. You also start wishing your own situation in life were better than it was. By this I mean that you wish you had the capacity to do all that it looks like everyone else has done. Decorated their bedrooms, sewed a cute outfit, created a fun party theme, BUT you have neither the time, capacity, money, nor energy to do any of it. So it makes you more depressed because you won't accomplish any of your wishes. At least that's where my thinking goes. (Ie., it would be fun to redecorate with paint, throw pillows, pictures etc, but that is money I don't need to spend and I have a perfectly good bedroom set up already). The above thoughts were reasons why I stopped following a few blogs. It's a pet peeve of mine when blogs are too perfect and cutesie. Ladies gushing over this and that, which you know they didn't have a hand in, they just found it somewhere first. Also, it's kind of a sensory overload and I can only handle so much. I've heard that some people spend hours upon hours on pinterest just looking at tons of stuff. I try really hard not to spend too much time on the internets. I'm not really creative when it comes to web surfing. I concede that it could be helpful when planning a wedding. I've heard a few people doing that. It could be greatly helpful, in fact. And I'm not trying to diss anyone that does pinterest, I've just decided that it's not for me.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh good i'm not the only one! I agree with most of your points. I did join a few months ago, but i've never actually pinned anything, or spent much time on there. Mostly I just like looking at my sister-in-laws' recipe sections...so many delicious-looking things. (I mean look at this!) Food is the one thing that seems possible in life. Decorating, sewing...ha! yeah right...maybe in another decade when i own a house. But food...that i can do. But overall, pinterest is just another one of those internet things (e.g. Twitter) that I don't think I'll ever get in to. It's like i can't handle more than facebook and my Google Reader.

Monica said...

Great minds think alike. I am so glad we are all friends and former roommates and it shows how alike we are because....I am not a fan of the pinterest either. I completely echo your sentiments about starting to develop envy, Meagan. Here's my take, though: it's all in the camera. People just get a sweet camera and it makes everything look better. And about the blog thing of people making cutesie blogs--I totally agree.
Anyways...sorry I am commenting on everything but I just wanted to tell you I completely agree. And there are many other things I'd like to spend my time on. (just ended with a preposition, not bueno).