Saturday, January 25, 2014

host cities

I could probably rattle off the Olympic host cities from 1992-2020 for both summer and winter Olympics. I've been alive for all of these, anything before 1988 gets a little hazy. But I could pull a few of those out too. I started making a list of all the Olympic host cities/sites I've been to. Surprisingly it was a few!

Lake Placid-1932, 1980 Winter Olympics
Passed through this place on a family trip back east. I was like 12 so I don't remember too much. I think we ice skated on the rink there. And there really was a lake.

Los Angeles-1932, 1984 Summer Olympics
Didn't really see anything to commemorate these games, but I've been to the city at least!

Rome-1960 Summer Olympics
Does the Colosseum count? The Gladiator Olympics maybe. I also walked by Circus Maximus and could totally see some track and field going on there.

Paris-1900 and 1924 Summer Olympics
Again, nothing to really show Olympics, but I was totally there.

Vancouver-2010 Winter Olympics
I've actually been twice, once before and once after the games. We found the Olympic Cauldron in the city center and took some pics where we attempted some ice skating type jumps. I also got to ski at Cypress Mountain where they held some of the Alpine events during the games. It was pretty rad.


London-2012 Summer Olympics
Watching the games I was totally, "I've been there! I've been there!" anytime they would show a venue. Should have made time to ride out to see the stadium but we ran out of time and it was probably all fenced off anyway. But we did get pictures in front of the official countdown in Trafalgar Square and I bought a Union Jack Olympic pin. Oh, and we did see the medals on display in the British Museum.

Salt Lake City-2002 Winter Olympics
I've ice skated at 7 Peaks where I think they had some hockey. I've skiied at Snowbasin where they had some Alpine events. And I've been to the Utah Olympic Park near Park City. This is where they have the bobsled run (still need to try!), cross country skiing, and ski jumping for US athletes to practice on. AND they actually have a decent museum. Part is dedicated to winter sports/Utah sports in general but another part is all about the 2002 games and has all kinds of paraphernalia. I totally ate it up and needed the highlights dvd to part with. I'm glad that they keep a memory of the games because I think for a lot of cities it just passes away and years later there's not really much to show for it. There were rumors that SLC wanted to bid for the 2022 games but I think they've pulled out. I'm crossing my fingers for 2026 because I can't think of a good place to have the 2024 summer games in the US.


One day I shall witness the Olympics!