Monday, January 11, 2010

Elementary, my dear Watson

The fam went to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie during Christmas break. It was excellent. I highly approve of Robert Downey Jr. playing Holmes and Jude Law playing Watson. I was slightly worried it would be inappropirate especially after the kind of previews they showed before the movie but it wasn't bad at all. I wasn't the biggest fan of Rachel McAdams performance but she did well enough. I've read the Sherlock Holmes books and RDJ did a great job portraying him-the fickleness, playing the violin, being brilliant but unreliable, and always one step ahead of everyone else. Jude did great being Watson. In the book he's older and a little more bumbling, but if you have Jude in your movie you don't want him doing that. I liked that he was the only one who could keep up with Holmes. Their camraderie was great, I could see them being best buddies. I also thought it was funny that no matter what Watson told himself about not getting involved in the case that he just couldn't keep away because he knew that hanging out with Holmes would be a great time. I also loved the storyline and plot, it was fast paced and very intriguing-I didn't have it figured out before the end. They left the ending open for a sequel, so look for that in a year or two. If all of this didn't convince you to go see it...Hello, it has Jude Law!! Are you alive?...yes so go see it. Very good job.

No comments: