Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It's about to get mad all up in here

That's right, March Madness season is upon us.  Normally I don't care two hoots about college basketball. (I've never even been to a BYU basketball game). But this year the extended Carr family is really getting into it by having our own bracket tournament complete with smack-talk and making fun of each other's respecitve alma maters. There are only two or three things that govern my picks. 1. BYU won't usually make it past the first round. This year I'm being generous and having them go to the second. 2. Gonzaga-from Washington-usually does pretty well. So I have them win. 3. Duke is really good and they kick trash a lot. Other than that it's mostly random, and I like to have some underdogs win. Somehow though I ended up with all the number 1 seeds making it to the final four. I hope at least one team upsets this. I picked Kansas to win over all. I still don't care about basketball, but now I feel included.

Speaking of family, I've been doing some research on my grandpa on my mom's side. He attended BYU from 1931 to 1935. There's not a ton that we know about his college years so I set out to find more. I knew that he worked on the school newspaper, the Y News, and that he was Associate Editor for one year. I looked through copies of the school yearbook from those years and found a few pictures that my grandpa was in. It was fun to hunt him down, I went to the Special Collections section of the library, I even had to use white gloves to handle some of the photographs I was looking at. I felt like National Treasure. It was also fun to see pictures of him as a young man, looking different from how I knew him as a 74-94 year old grandpa. The same age as I am now, going to college at the same university, all that stuff. Anyway here are the ones I found. They are scans of copies of the original pages, so the quality will probably be poor. If it's hard to see, click on the image to see a larger version.
My grandpa(Francis Foster) is the short guy on the right. This is the International Relations Club of 1933-34.


The news writing class of 1932-33. Again, the short guy on the left.

The Y Journalists. Grandpa is in the front on the right.

Makes me think about what BYU was like back in the day when there were only 1,500 students instead of 30,000+. And grateful that these people helped make BYU what it is today.

No comments: