Thursday, June 10, 2010

a poem

summer storm

dark, billowy clouds roll in
wind starts to tangle with the treetops
it smells like rain

drip       drip

then
a creshendo of thunder gurgles through the belly of the valley
rain comes down harder now
fat rain drops land on my skin-warm because it's summer
a crack of lightning illuminates the sky

I will the sky to let the rain come harder
nostalgic for the times when I was young
during a good storm when the rain would fill the gutters
we'd run up and down the street in them
get sopping wet

but the rain doesn't last long
burdenless clouds slip over mountain peaks
blue patches of sky appear
probably to the delight of the boys that went golfing
my storm is now a memory


3 comments:

Jenn said...

i like this poem! lo escribiste?

Meagan said...

Yes I wrote it! I was feeling poetic yesterday.

Stephen said...

Yay for gutter-running!