Monday, June 20, 2011

I like and I don't like

So I had a few ideas that I wanted to write about but they don't all necessarily deserve their own post so it kinda got amalgamated (see, I'm prepping for the GRE) into a like and dislike list.

I don't like-When all the boys in my YSA branch get candy bars for Father's day. Now, it's not that the girls didn't get anything. They did. I was just absent that week. And if I were there I would have totally protested. I think it's dumb to honor the boys when they are not the reason we have that special day. I flipped out a lot yesterday when they announced the passing out of candy bars after the closing prayer. Someone told me "Well they are going to be fathers someday." Cool. But they AREN'T right now. And not all of them will be. It's not a guarantee. And they're not MY father. It's not honor men day, honor people who hold the priesthood day or whatever. I can see handing out treats to a family ward to all the males, hey, I like to include people. But in a Singles Branch?!! It goes for girls too. I am not a mother. I am not your mother nor will I ever be. Someday I hope to be a mother, but don't go throwing candy at me for something I didn't do. Keep it for the real moms. If it's about having respect for priesthood holders or motherhood/womanhood and you are trying to do that in a singles branch there are other ways.

I don't like-my uterus. Some days I wish I could rip it out and throw it at the wall. TMI? Whatever. I'm a girl, so deal with it.

I don't like-my brother leaving me. Now I am an orphan. I had him for a month. Vaya Con Dios.

I like-babies. Baby Jace specifically. I got to snuggle with him on Saturday and he fell asleep in my arms after being unsuccessfully held by someone else. Ha ha. I was proud. He knows who his Aunt Megio is.

I like-summer. Happy First Day of Summer tomorrow! And summer solstice. Light out until 9:30? Yes, please.

I like-singing in the shower. It has the best acoustics and my voice sounds really great in there. And loud. Except I only do this when I've been awake for awhile before I shower. Some of my roommates could probably tell you that I do this. I hope it was entertaining. I even do show tunes, Lion King, Aida and Wicked work the best. Singing in the car is the next best place. All the sound does is bounce around inside the car so you can hear everything really well. If I am driving by myself on a long road trip my throat gets sore by the end because I have sung myself the whole way home. I'm pretty good entertaining myself with my iPod.

I like-planning parties. I am currently ruminating on a garden party in my backyard. Like all Martha Stewarty with fancy plates and tissue paper flowers. It has the potential to be fantastic, but it needs a little moolah to get it how I want, so I'm debating. Also, I was looking at the guest list last night, and in order not to offend anyone, I am now up to 20+ people. ...it may have to be a potluck.

And finally, I like and I don't like the new HP trailer. The movie itself will be amazing. I think I'll have goosebumps the whole time/cry/be antsy. But I don't like it because then there will be no more Harry Potter movies, ever. Que triste. If you haven't seen it, you should probably watch it. If you don't, then you are unamerican. Yeah, I went there.

1 comment:

Maris said...

I loved this post. I miss you, Meagan!
I forgot about your shower singing (how could I forget?). The showtunes were the best!
Are you ever not planning a party? ;)