Wednesday, July 20, 2011

the narwhal theory

Once in awhile my brain comes up with something good. I've had this in store for awhile now, but debated about writing about this because it is rather insensitive. Also, it probably won't make too much sense. So, at the risk of offending my three male readers, here I go to explain The Narwhal Theory.

I have found lately that sometimes boys are Narwhals. "Meagan, what do you mean by Narwhal?" Yes, it's that strange animal that is a cross between a whale and a unicorn, the whale with a horn on top of it's head. The correlation goes back to that scene in the movie "Elf" where Buddy says good-bye to his North Pole friends. Here's the clip:


So here's the reasoning behind the narwhal-he has a certain glum/melancholy attitude in his voice when he says, "Bye Buddy, hope you find your dad.". This is the same voice that boys get when they are lazy/don't want to do something/too scared to do something/unable to act like a man and get whatever they need done, done.  I've heard it multiple times and many times it's coupled with a claim of not knowing how to do something. "I don't know how to plan a party." "I don't know where I want to eat dinner." "Tell me what to do." "Tell me how to dress myself." Ok, not that bad...but seriously, it's sometimes frustrating the degree to which I have to mother some people just to get them to do simple things. I don't know whether it's because they really are that incompetent, or if it's just that they really don't want to/can't make those decisions for themselves. I don't get it. All of these people should be confident adults who are making their own decisions and have somehow made it through these past 20-odd years. And the reason I say it's boys is because I have yet to hear the same kinds of words come from a girls mouth.

I've also been discovering that it means that boys are a lot more sensitive than I once thought. They try and project a manliness, and usually hide whatever is hurting/bothering/annoying them. But now I know that some boys are more sensitive than girls (and by girls I mean myself). Hence the Narwhal comes out. I am really not a sensitive person so I sometimes forget that some people are.

Let it be known, this is not all boys, nor do I hate boys. It's just an observation I have made in learning from experiences that boys are sometimes not as manly and unsensitive as I once perceived them to be. Boys that read my blog, you are probably not one of them. I am not trying to attack you, this is just me making observations on life. It's just a bit of silliness, really.