Saturday, October 6, 2007

General Conference!

This weekend is General Conference. It is a time when we mormons gather together to listen to our leaders share words of counsel and guidance from the Lord. I really enjoy General Conference because there is always something that I need to hear and do better in my life. I try and at least listen to all the sessions. I didn't always enjoy conference but when I was in seminary during high school I changed my outlook on conference weekend. My seminary teacher told the same story every time conference rolled around. I think I heard this story about eight times.

I had time-released seminary during high school. People liked to eat lunch in the seminary building. During one lunch hour my seminary teacher overheard this conversation between two friends, one was a member and one wasn't. The nonmember asked his friend what made his church different than other churches. The member replied that one way we were different was because we believed in modern day prophets that God spoke to like in the Old Testament such as Abraham or Noah. The nonmember was impressed and asked how he could hear these people speak. The member then explained about General Conference and how it happens twice a year and we listen to the prophets speak. The nonmember then asked if anyone could go. Well yes anyone can go. He then asked if he could go with the member. The member then said he couldn't go on Saturday because he was going fishing with his dad. The nonmember then said that the member didn't believe his faith. Taken aback the member stated that he did indeed believe his faith. The nonmember said that he didn't. If HE had the chance to listen to a prophet he wouldn't spend the day going fishing. Needless to say my seminary teacher was a little disappointed in his student and his lost chance for missionary work.

This story was mean in some way to guilt the kids into watching general conference. But it was also to explain that because we believe in latter-day prophets we should feel blessed to hear from them any chance we get. I have learned to enjoy General Conference and appreciate the blessings I get from it. Watch it every chance you get!!!

No comments: