Monday, October 1, 2007

Vertically Challenged

This is no breaking news to some of my roommates who, like me, fail to breach the 5'5" mark. I just wanted to let the tall people of the world what it's like to be short and the interesting things that can happen.


1. Sometimes I feel claustrophobic around tall people. Especially if there is a big crowd and you can't see past all the tall people crowding you in. It's one reason I didn't enjoy stake dances.


2. This one's not a new idea but, being short means I can't reach a lot of things. If I'm desperate to get it I will get a chair or stool. Once in awhile I'll just leave it there. It's always good to have a tall friend though to get things for you. Like my friend Steve who is 6'4". We worked at the bindery together over the summer and I'm pretty sure he was taller than me even when he was kneeling. But I didn't have to duck or worry about hitting my head going underneath the shelves.


3. Taller people like to touch my head. Don't know where the urge to do this comes from. Maybe I look little and cute to them so they like to pet me like a small animal?? It happens more often than you'd think. Not annoyed with it yet but I could see myself getting to that point. It's just kind of random.


4. Not that this makes any difference, but I am not used to looking at the tops of peoples' heads. One of my tall friends once asked me if his hair was all blown about. I told him that I couldn't compare to how it usually looks because I hadn't seen it before. So if you are having a bad hair day I won't be able to tell.


5. One of my legs is shorter than the other one. I didn't find this out until I had broken my right femur and got a rod and two screws put in, but the orthopedic surgeon informed me this after one of my checkups. Nothing to do with being short though...


Bonus-I don't have to worry about finding a guy who is taller than me. They're all pretty much taller than me. And I can wear whatever high heels I want.


On a final note: being 5'2" makes me taller than both of my grandmas. A nice feat. But I am the shortest of all my siblings and shorter than both my parents. I'm hoping for a few more inches in the next life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it, Meagan! One other thing... we can always benefit from high heels because they will never make us too tall.

Anonymous said...

I'm 5'4" and people still pat my head...