Monday, September 22, 2008

What's in a name?

Shakespeare said, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." (or something like unto that). Well, I like my name. It's nice to be called by it. For example, I work at a ticket office and see many people during the day. The first few days I didn't have a name tag so no one knew my name. But the past two days I have been wearing it and it has been fun. People say "Hi, Meagan" and I enjoy it. Plus my name tag is spelled right because I made a big deal of it getting spelled right when I got hired. If I have to wear it and label myself with it, I want it correct. I read once in "How to win friends and influence people" (yes I read that book) that our name is something we love to hear, a lot. So if you learn someone else's name they will really appreciate it. I am pretty good a learning names, but there is a line that I have to be careful about. You don't want someone to know you know their name if they don't know yours. It might appear creepy. But you can say, "You're Marissa, right?" It shows you know their name but you haven't been thinking about it all day. Anyway, when you know someone's name, use it!

No comments: