So I'm taking a Shakespeare class this semester. I don't really like the teacher but I like the fact that I've been reading plays, being literary and being cultured. So far my favorites are Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream, As You Like It, and Henry V. I am a little sad that we didn't read one of my favorites ever, Much Ado About Nothing. I'm not even sure if I've actually read this play, or if it's just because I've seen the movie. It is so stinking hilarious. I think they could make a modern day adaptation and we would relate to it even more.
I want to link you to a youtube video of one of the funniest parts of the play. If you haven't read it: Benedict is a woman-hating army man who takes pride in the fact that he hates women and will be a batchelor forever. Beatrice is a man-hating woman who sticks up for herself and makes witty stabs and combacks. Everyone else thinks they are perfect for each other and tries to get them together. They have to trick them into it though. Benedict overhears his buddies chat about how Beatrice loves him but would rather die than admit it. Beatrice overhears her sister say that Benedict loves her but is too ashamed to tell. Funny things ensue. Watch the whole play to see what happens, but this scene is pretty funny. Kenneth Braunagh plays Benedict, Denzel Washington plays his companion, and Emma Thompson plays Beatrice. The title is something Benedict says when talking about whether he loves Beatrice or not. Kind of like the line from Elf-"I'm in love, I'm in love, and I don't care who knows it!"
3 comments:
oh my gosh weird...just the other day i looked this up on youtube and found that the entire movie was there! and i watched this very part! I'm not kidding! I'm seriously freaked out by this eerie coincidence! are we psychic??
i freaking LOVE shakespeare, as you know. :) much ado is fantastic!!!!
"and i love her!"
I haven't had time to read since Dancesport. Stupid Dancesport. But I am so excited to get to this! I didn't actually watch the clip. I'm saving that. But I'm still so excited for this!!
Post a Comment