Saturday, July 28, 2012

london day 1

Been watching Olympics, pretty much all day. I gotta get it in while I can. Here's the recap.
-Started with the USA women's basketball game vs. Serbia. Serbia gave them a little trouble but they were able to put it away. They are contenders for the gold medal.
-Next came the USA women's volleyball game vs. South Korea. They won the first two sets and the Korea gave them trouble and won the third. USA was able to come back and get the next set for the match win, but they need to keep their game up if they want to get the gold.
-Saw a few prelims in the pool, Michael Phelps almost didn't make it to the final of one of his races. He won his prelim but ended up being the 8th fastest time.
-Then a USA men's team for beach volleyball trounced South Africa in pool play.
-Alexandr Vinokurov from Kazakhstan won the road cycle race after a big crash, he was absolutely overwhelmed to win the gold and I bet his country won't win a ton of medals. I love stories like this. Although team GB was denied a hopeful gold medal in Mark Cavendish who was a favorite to win.
-8 man crew in rowing, team USA took 1st in the prelim so they automatically go through to the final. Good job.
-Kerri Walsh Jennings and Misty May-Treanor barely beat a pair of Aussies in women's beach volleyball. They have never lost a set or match in Olympic play. The Australians gave them a run for their money but Kerri and Misty showed why and how they won two gold medals. I hope they can do it again.
-The men's qualifying for gymnastics. This gets me so anxious. I get so nervous that they will fall, not make their catch, not stick their landing, and all the stuff they do looks so dangerous. There was a guy from Ireland who was just glad to be at the Olympics knowing he probably wouldn't place on anything. Team GB had a great showing in front of the home crowd. Team USA did very well. They are the top qualifying team of the men. Of course I love the story of John Orozco growing up in the bronx and his family sacrificing a ton to get him to the Olympics. He is a very strong gymnast. I decided that I need to date a male gymnast. Apparently most male gymnasts are pretty short. They got a 5'2" and a 5'4" guys on the team. That would work for me. And in my opinion, there is nothing more manly or athletic than male gymnastics. Dude, have you seen the stuff they do on the rings? MANLY.
-The first Lochte vs. Phelps showdown. I am rooting for Lochte, Phelps has had his day and now it's time for a new dynasty. It was the 4x100 Individual Medley. Phelps had his moments during the race but Lochte ended up winning. He didn't get Phelps' WR but did get the gold. Phelps didn't even medal, first time since 2000 that he didn't at least get a medal. They interviewed him after the race and he couldn't make sentences. He was so mad. I think he was expecting his raw talent to come through for him a bit, but it's four years later and I think he should just have fun and enjoy his last races. Lochte is the new "it" guy, I like the pretended rivalry, and I like seeing someone besides Phelps win. But Lochte is just as much of a schmo as Phelps is. I read he was told not to wear his diamond grill on the medals stand or they wouldn't give him his medal. Thanks London 2012 for keeping it classy.
-China dominates in the pool in a few races. Since when did China dominate swimming? I think they saw their 2008 performance and the good ol' communist system got working on that.
-Elizabeth Bisel got silver in the women's 4X100 Individual Medley. A girl from China won.
-I have got to keep my parents from spoiling all the Olympic results. They are a lot more internet savvy than four years ago, now they go online know everything before it airs on tv and keep ruining it for me.
-I heard USA women's soccer won their game against Columbia. I hope they can get the gold!
-I wish I could get a little variety in my Olympic coverage. It would be cool to watch some handball or something.

Tomorrow is another big day in Olympics!!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Meagan! Have you been to http://www.nbcolympics.com/ ?? If you have a TV subscription, you can log-in (e.g. using your comcast login or whatever) and have access to all the events, both live and replay! It's awesome. We don't have TV, but we borrowed Aaron's dad's log-in info so we can watch everything. You should check it out if you haven't already.