"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."-Albus Dumbledore
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
"Hi, I'm Dr. So-and-so but call me Mike"
This is the phrase I have heard so often this week. All of my teachers have told us to call them by their first names which is kind of cool but unsettling at the same time. For me it's really weird to go up to an adult and address them by their first name. Especially adults who have worked so hard professionally to get where they are at. Don't they enjoy being called doctor? Also I think using their first names puts us on the same level, which we are so not. They are smarter, older and wiser than I am. I still feel like I am their "student" not their friend or even colleague. There was only one teacher who didn't tell me to use his first name. He is young and still wants to rub his title in people's faces. But you can call me Meagan. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i rarely have teachers tell me to call them by their first name, but when I do, I can't do it. it seems disrespectful. obviously, they don't have a problem with it... but i do.
Post a Comment