Sunday, February 14, 2010

2010 Winter Olympics-day 1

If you know me you know that I am highly dedicated to watching the Olymhpics. I did a whole series of blog posts during the 2008 Summer Olympics that were pretty amazing (the Olympics that is). This time around I don't have the comfort of my HD tv at home, in fact the tv in my apt doesn't even get NBC because it can't get high def tv. Which creates a problemo for me in that I can't watch my beloved winter games. Anywho, I didn't get to watch the opening ceremonies, were they any good? I did get to watch last night though. Here's what I saw:

Women's Moguls-USA kept Canada from their first home-won gold medal, taking gold and bronze in the event. Shannon Bahrke got bronze and Hannah Kearney got gold.
Hannah Kearney

Short track speed skating-Apolo Ohno once again tries to grab gold in this tricky sport. He got to the finals but the Koreans managed to hold him off until the end, where they wiped out and USA went 2-3. (Ha ha, take that South Korea!) RJ Selski got the bronze (he's 19, got a hugo injury in September that almost severed his artery, his mom was so proud.) Also, they showed a shot of their skates when they go around the turns-they are almost all the way on the side of the blade, which means they are using incredible muscle strength to keep themselves up. Ohno tied Bonnie Blair for most decorated winter olympian with 6 medals now. I like me some Ohno.

                                    
                                                                 Ohno and the Koreans

                                             
                                                                         Ohno
Men's Luge-not too exciting, the really good Italian guy didn't do so well. The Germans beat everyone. And the whole place is really somber after the death of the Georgian luger-Nodar Kumwitashvili during a practice run before the Olympics started. So sad. The track gets people to speeds of 90 mph when the norm is 80 mph. They moved the men's start line to the women's and the women's even lower on the track. They also modified some of the turns and put a railing in one part.
                                        
                                                                      American on the luge

Other-I missed Bob Costas. He is so corny in his coverage, but I love it. I'm sad I missed all his gems from the Opening Ceremonies. Let's hope I get to watch more. Also, Visa has done it again with the Morgan Freeman commercials. I've only seen two. But the one about Dan Jansen almost made me cry.

Go Team USA!

1 comment:

jenn said...

So we watched the opening ceremonies....they were interesting. Sometimes strange, sometimes cool...it was a lot of eskimo-inuit-northern canadian culture whatnot. Also watched the womens' moguls-- easily my favorite event ever, it was amazing to watch. I was so nervous every time they did their little flips.