Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Olympics-day 4

Sometimes with the Winter Olympics I feel like there is nothing on, but I think it's because there are less events. This leaves less to show on primetime. I think we saw almost all of the men's figure skaters. It was a bit much.

As always there were many highs and lows. One of the worst lows was Lindsay Jacobellis. A snowboard cross competitor, she won silver in the 2006 olympics because she was showboating at the end, fell and lost her first place standing. A lot of people gave her grief because she was showing off, including me. But I felt bad for her. This year she made it to the semifinals but missed a gate after a jump and had to drop out. That is the sport. One can be in and out of the race in a split second. But, good news for Canada-they got the gold medal, Maelle Ricker claimed it for the home nation.

Lindsay Jacobellis
Maelle Ricker
The men's and women's USA hockey teams both won their games. The women's team are in the finals now. The men's team won, which is a comeback from 2006 where they didn't do so hot.

And finally, the men's figure skating. I think we saw almost everyone compete. Evgeni Plushenko, the 2006 gold medalist from Russia, came out of retirement for another shot at gold. The man is a machine. He executes his jumps flawlessly. I want a little more artistry from him, but he is fun to watch because he is so powerful.

Evegeni Plushenko
My new fave is the cutie Patrick Chan from Canada. He is only 19 and was anticipated to be a contender for a medal. He did well, but not well enough. I don't think he'll medal, but he still has many skating years ahead of him.


won gold at 2008 skate Canada
Of the three Americans, Evan Lysacek did the best. He is a tall fellow and with his costume being all black he brings a dramatic presence and makes such great lines with his long legs and arms. Evan gave a great performance and was so pleased with it. In 2006 he was fighting the flu, was in 10th after the short program, had an IV to get rehydrated, and came back to get 4th after the long program. Basically he wants to win this time. Johnny Weir and Jeremy Abbott did not do so hot. The top three men are Plushenko, Lysacek and a Japanese fellow whose scores are within a half a point of each other. Look for them to fight for gold.

Evan Lysacek
Shaun White tonight!

No comments: