Xue and Hongbo
the other Chinese couple
Up next is men's downhill. The sport where athletes race at breakneck speed from the top to the bottom of the mountain. Bode Miller was on a quest to redeem himself from the 2006 Olympics where he did not medal. (I actually did not get to see a ton of this). Bode posted an awesome time and was so elated at being in first. But two others were able to beat him out with better times, so he ended up getting bronze. I think he was pleased with bronze though. He got flack from people because he once admitted to skiing hungover. And sometimes he does really bad because his skiing style is all or nothing and he usually does really good or really bad. I'm really excited he did well. I love Bode.
Aside: sometimes I feel bad because I don't think as much of the silver and bronze medalists, but they are just as awesome as what they do. They beat everyone else in the world but one person. I feel I need to give them more credit. So congrats all you silver and bronze medalists.
Last of the night was the men's snowboard cross. This event is uh-maze-ink. Four people basically race each other downhill. I feel like it is similar to short track speed skating because you can be in and out of the race in a second. We had two Americans in the final. The first wiped out in the first seconds of the race. Seth Wescott, the other American, was third and didn't look like he could overtake the other two boarders. Amazingly, he came out of a turn in front of the second place guy. After that he tried to chase down the man in first. It looked like it wasn't going to happen but then Seth Wescott came from behind in the final seconds of the race to win. It was seriously one of the best races ever. Here a the YouTube video of how the race looks. I hope to have the actual race up here soon.
I look forward to seeing Shaun White tomorrow on halfpipe. I love him too. PS. All pictures are from Sports Illustrated.com.






No comments:
Post a Comment