Monday, August 17, 2009

"A" Positive

I was in kind of a bad mood this morning. My roommate's alarm kept going off and I was kind of feeling sorry for myself for various reasons. Then it came time for me to donate blood at work. I went, I pumped, I gave. It took me a long time, 14 minutes. I'm not really sure what type my blood is but I think I am A positive. The phlebotemists kept messing with the needle, adjusting it so my blood would come out faster. Then my hand went numb. But that was just because the blood pressure cuff was too tight. Now I have a cool pink bandage around my arm. I saved three lives, possibly more depending on what kinds of experiments they do with my blood. And I felt better about myself and am in a much better mood because I helped someone out who will need my blood someday. I am "positve" (ha ha, blood pun).

Which brings me to my other thought for today. Organ donation. I am a big supporter of it. I don't have a family member that's needed one or some sad story like that, I just think it's a good idea. If there ever comes a time where I die, I'm not going to need those body parts anymore. So if they're still good, why not let someone else have them? In Washington you can choose to be an organ donor when you get your driver's license, they put a little red heart on it. I've got one on my license. Organs donated can include kidneys, heart, lungs, liver, pancreas and intestines. It's awesome. If you watch 30 Rock--Kidney Now!

1 comment:

jenn said...

you donated blood at work? that's cool. 14 minutes seems really short but that's cause it took me like 40 minutes to sell my plasma back in the day...
i'm an organ donor! i think the idea of being an organ donor is kind of freaky considering you can't donate your organs if you died peacefully of old age in your bed. the ideal way to go, according to like, everyone. so if you donate them, you died an untimely terrible death. suckfest! but i agree, organ donation is a good thing.